Saturday, February 1, 2014

Flagstaff feats...quitting my job and other things

On the edge of something great is a hard place to be.  For a lot of us.  We can dream big, we can see into the future, and there is HOPE.  But it's taking those few steps, small ones really, when procrastination and doubt limit our ability to make that leap.  Necessity is the mother of invention...so now I'm forced to move forward.  And so begins the next great adventure of my life.  In January I quit my "dream job" due to philosophical differences in the way the business structure was run.  It was a tough decision to make.  I'm a physical therapist.  So in a lot of ways, I am incredibly lucky.  While I'm in limbo, waiting for this great big move, I can work here and there for others to help make ends meet.  So what's slowing me down?  Doubt.  Most likely doubt.  And that good old fear thing.  These two limiters stem from a long history of being told and telling myself I need to play it safe and should not take big risks.  Here are the things that I'm doing to procrastinate: baking and making raw healthy desserts, writing a blog post, cleaning the house, going on runs, working for other companies on a per diem basis... (total 6).  Here are the things I'm doing to effect change in my life and push me closer to attaining my goals: reading up on the laws and regulations of owning my own PT practice, coming up with a name for my clinic (this is harder than you may think), studying up on the latest innovations for physical therapy treatment, talking to a lot of people about opening up a clinic, looking for space to rent, writing my business plan, looking at the costs of start up, making projections and setting profit/loss goals and decision triggers... (total 9).  So, in reality I'm doing more to move forward than to stay still.  Alas, here's is a picture of my latest yummy healthy procrastination:


Coconut Almond Macadamia no-bake Macaroons:

1 c shredded coconut
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c macadamia nuts
1/4 c flax seeds
1/2 t vanilla
1/8 t sea salt
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 c coconut oil
cinnamon stick

Place coconut, vanilla, sea salt, maple syrup in a mixing bowl.  Vita mix is very helpful for the next steps: lightly grind almonds, macadamias, flax, cinnamon...I recommend grinding each separately to avoid turning the nuts into butter.  The cinnamon obviously needs the most grinding.  Heat the coconut oil until it becomes liquid (I placed a bowl of coconut oil on the stove which was already warm to liquify it).  Add to the mix.  Stir it all together.  Form balls or bars.  I didn't add anything else, but you certainly can add anything you want.  The possibilities are endless.  I thought about throwing the balls into a sack of cocao powder, but they are good as is. 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment